What's In A Name?
Dachshunds are definitely a breed all their own. Elongated and shaped like sausages, there is a lot to Weiner dogs. Their shape is so unique, it comes with its own health issues. Doxie owners know 1 in 4 doxies will suffer from Intervertebral Disc Disease (IVDD), and it's critical to understand the disease.
However, don't let that deter you from owning a Dachshund. They're one of the most loving breeds around. Interestingly, many doxie owners end up naming their hot dogs with similar names, and we've compiled a list of the top 10 cute dachshund names that are as cute as the hot dog itself!
What is your doxie's name? Share your thoughts in the comments section.
1. Schnitzel - This name has its origins from Germany and Austria
You've heard of this name before, but here is the surprising origin and it has nothing to do with dogs! Schnitzel is actually a thin slice of veal or other light meat, coated in breadcrumbs and fried.
2. Bruno - The name Bruno also has it's origins in Germany and refers to the old German language "brun" definition, which is brown.
Normally, Bruno seems more fitting for a bigger dog, but in this case, Bruno
3. Cody - Although this name has no German or sausage related origins, it is nonetheless very popular with owners!
4. Frankie - Originates from the word Frankfurt, which is a type of sausage from Germany.
5. Ruby - Because dachshunds are jewels in our lives!
6. Cooper - A cute name for a cute dachshund!
7. Otto - Another German name that has proven to be popular with new dachshund owners.
8. Riley - So regal
9. Herman - A traditional German name for a good looking hound!